Note from Melanie: I add sesame seeds and chopped garlic to the meat mix, and a shit-ton of grated fresh ginger to the dipping sauce.
Recipe adapted from Family.com
1 pound ground turkey
2 scallions, very finely chopped
1/2 cup very finely chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup fine, dry bread crumbs (unseasoned)
1 egg, lightly beaten
Sweet Soy Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 or 3 slices fresh ginger smashed with the side of a heavy knife
- To make the meatballs: Heat the oven to 400.
- Gently mix together the ingredients (hands are best for this), then form meatballs by rolling tablespoon-sized scoops between your palms.
- Arrange on a lightly oiled or parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until well-browned and cooked through. Serve with toothpicks for dipping.
- To make the dipping sauce: In a small pot, stir all the ingredients together over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Simmer 3 or so minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Fish out the ginger and serve in small cups for dipping.
Makes 24 meatballs